When most people hear about a marriage retreat, they think that it’s just for couples who are struggling. While there certainly are retreats for strained marriages (Retrouvaille, anyone?), there are also some retreats for married couples who want to grow closer together by spending a weekend away, focusing on God and their marriage. It doesn’t matter if you’re a newlywed or have been married for 40 years – any couple can benefit from a marriage retreat!
We’ve been on 3 marriage retreats in 9 years of marriage…and we didn’t go on the first one until almost 5 years in. Needless to say, it was amazing and just what we needed, so we’ve made it a priority to make it a regular occurence. We HIGHLY recommend every married couple to go on a marriage retreat and to make it happen every single year, if possible (hard when you keep having babies, I know…which is why we’ve done it every 2 years).
Here are 10 reasons why I think you should go on a marriage retreat (but honestly, there are even more!):
- God first, marriage second, then everything else. A marriage retreat helps you do exactly that!
- No cooking or cleaning for a weekend. (Enough said.)
- A retreat helps you to move forward in your marriage, especially if your marriage is in a rut. Consider it a jump-start!
- To know you’re not alone. Every marriage has their struggles and crosses, so hearing the stories of other couples is reassuring and comforting.
- It’s the perfect opportunity to talk about important topics with your spouse uninterrupted.
- To find encouragement and community from other couples. As a young couple, it’s so inspiring to see couples 40 years ahead of us! And the older couples are encouraged by seeing young couples putting effort into their marriage.
- To learn more about your spouse. There’s no better time to learn about your spouse! A couple’s vacation is fun (and also necessary at times), but the focus is still on vacation….not your marriage.
- To embrace the Sacraments together as a married couple.
- To be reminded that the Sacrament of Matrimony is a gift, and one we should make a priority.
- Great food! (Logan had to add that one, ha)
God wants to be an integral part in your marriage. And he should be! A marriage retreat fosters that in more ways that I can explain here.
Have you ever been on a marriage retreat? If so, what reasons would you add to the list?
In case you missed it, we vlogged during our last retreat! Check out the video:
2 thoughts on “10 reasons you should go on a marriage retreat”