During our wedding ceremony, we presented flowers to the Blessed Mother, entrusting our marriage to her.
Honestly, I don’t think we fully grasped the importance of that at the time. But as years have gone by, we’ve realized more and more just how vital our Mother is to our marriage.
She is the ultimate example of what it means to say “yes” to God’s will and to trust Him in everything. Her fiat – her “yes” – led to the salvation of the whole world. Not only did she have the perfect marriage, she was the perfect mother. As a woman, I look to Mary as a guide as I strive to become a better wife and mother.
But a man could totally consider Mary as an example too! She was so trusting and self-sacrificial, two qualities essential in a marriage. The most awesome priests we know are the ones with a devotion to the Blessed Mother.
Plus, the devil is terrified of Mary – have you noticed that many statues of Mary have her crushing the serpent? She is the WOMAN. Her prayers are so powerful, as she can literally whisper into the ear of Jesus. And he listens to her, just like he did from the very beginning of his ministry at the wedding at Cana.
Jesus gave his mother to us (see John 19:26-27), and it brings him great joy when we honor her.
How can you bring Mary into your marriage? Here are some ideas:
- Place a statue of Mary in your home, specifically in your bedroom.
- Pray the Rosary together.
- Have images of Mary hanging on your walls, especially in your bedroom.
- Create a Marian garden in your yard. (We did this last year! See our video at the end of this post.)
- Celebrate Marian feast days. (One of our faves is the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe on December 12!)
- Read 33 Days to Morning Glory and prepare for a Marian consecration together. (We’re doing this right now!)
- If your church has a place for flowers in front of a statue of the Blessed Mother, present those to her together and pray a Hail Mary for your marriage.
Do you have any other ideas to add to the list?